what I do

what I do

Friday, February 11, 2011

Decorating with neutrals

source

Yesterday I posted about fabrics and how I prefer a neutral sofa. But a neutral does not have to be beige or boring. Even using something like this can be considered neutral:

Michael Miller Summer Soiree Houndstooth Black
I am using a black and white houndstooth fabric on a sofa in a living room remodel right now and it will give the client flexibility with pillow colors down the road if she wants to change things. I will probably be bringing in light blue accents for her living room but if she wanted to use red or even a bright pink or yellow she could.

Miley Cyrus' dressing room via Caitlin Creer Interiors
Client's inspiration clipping from House Beautiful
When I think of a neutral, I think of a pair of jeans or khaki pants - because almost anything can be put with them. So when I am designing an interior, and specifically a sofa, I try to achieve the same thing by using fabrics and materials that will give me flexibility and allow many changes, just like a neutral pair of pants.

{Timothy Wealon via Little Green Notebook}
{Rashida Jones via Little Green Notebook}
{via Absolutely Beautiful Things}

11 comments:

Noelle at Gray Paint Decor said...

black and white houndstooth sofa-- I love it! Awesome idea. It can work with so many fun colors as you say. Maybe your client will let you post afters?? xo

Unknown said...

Yes! I will most definitely be posting the 'after' photos. It is a couple of months from being finished... just in preliminary stages now.

Town and Country Gals said...

Sherri,
The hounds tooth fabric is wonderful! I love men's suit type fabric used on furniture and accessories! My comforter set in my bedroom is a brown herring bone pattern.
My sister in Yorba Linda says the same thing about the weather out there! I'll trade mine for yours!
Rebecca
P.S. Thanks for following!

paula said...

love these. although hounds tooth is a no go here. We live and alabama and the opposing team is hounds tooth crazy. ha.

paula said...

that would be opposing football team :)

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Very good point, Sherri. Neutrals don't need to be boring.

I really like your selection of pictures.

Oh, Sherri, you need to take a look at my post about "Dexter" today. It's creepy!!!! :-)

Have a great weekend, my friend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Post of the day: DEXTER INSPIRED DECOR.

One of my Hobby Blogs said...

hi sherri, I'm glad you found my blog, now I've found yours too! great blog, love that houndstooth in Miley's bedroom like that!!

Seagrass Interiors said...

I'm loving that black and white houndstooth! Can't wait to see how everything comes together!

xo
Melissa

Kathysue said...

Sherri, I so agree a neutral can be any color or pattern as long as it offers the homeowner flexability. Green is my neutral with accents of black and white and pinks, yellows an blues. I love the choice of the houndstooth. It will look modern and current, How fun!!! Kathysue

Simple Home said...

I've been reading over some of your past posts and love the work you've done. The ideas you share are so good!!
Blessings,
Marcia

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Sweetie,

how are you doing? I'm just dropping by to say "thank you" for your comment, ok?

I hope you're having a great weekend so far.

Hugs to you!


Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Post of the Day: JENNIFER ANISTON'S HOUSE FOR SALE!