what I do

what I do

Monday, July 23, 2012

Refreshing a family room

Remember this house?


The family room needed a little updating as well. A new seagrass rug was ordered and a custom made storage ottoman for a coffee table is almost done. An Adirondack style reading chair & ottoman was reupholstered in this:


And all that was needed to finish it off was some bookshelf accessorizing and styling and a few new pillows for the sofa. The styling was done weeks ago (I wrote about it here) and I picked up the pillows from the workroom last week. The sectional they will go on is dark blue (you can see a corner of it below):


We used heavy duty / outdoor fabrics for this active family that includes 3 teenagers (I find that teens are harder on fabrics then little ones!) and 2 dogs who "rule the roost" in this lovely close-to-the-beach home.




The order: 4 - 22" pillows with no welt / invisible zippers. I used to always make my pillows 20" but lately I have been making them 22" - I like the larger size.  Sometimes I self-welt and sometimes I use no welt. And even less often I use a contrasting welt - even though that is a great look! This fabric was very pricey so we saved a little by not adding any piping. 


I used 24" down inserts. Can you see the zipper on the pillow? Doesn't she do a great job?



We re-upolstered the sectional about 5 years ago and it is still in good shape. The client thought about changing it - either with something brand new or by re-upholstering it again. But in the end we opted to just change out the pillows. The pillows we had made back then were a light blue and red:

THE OLD

The new colors will change the room dramatically:

THE NEW

The final reveal should be in a few weeks!

4 comments:

Holly Gruszka said...

Great stuff Sherri! I just got some samples from Perennials the other day and really love them. That mix of colors and patterns is awesome. And that is some fine pillow construction too by your workroom - you've got a good one that's for sure. Can't wait to see this installed. Hope you had a nice weekend!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

It already looks great - excited to see the final reveal!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Blue is one of my top fave colors ever and I adore when it is paired with orange. Pretty pillows!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

HOW LOVELY. show us more please.